Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Conquered Netting!!!

Yea for me!  I am a very stubborn person when I set my mind to it.  Thank you to all of you who responded so helpfully to my last post.  What I ended up doing was finding a very very basic netting pattern, and I studied the thread paths and how the rows went together.  From there I designed my own pattern.  Now I don't know if my pattern is "correct", if there is such a thing for "technically sound" netting, but it is what it is and I am over the moon for it.  This is going to be my April installment for my 2011 Bead Journal Project.  I am actually ahead of schedule a little bit.  Well, not really.  I still have the earrings and bracelet to make to go with it, but I ran out of seed beads and the store where I got them is fresh out (I took the last two tubes to finish my collar).  I put some more on order so I can finish up the bracelet and earrings. 

I bought these wonderful red daggers from Fusion Beads, and there weren't very many left.  I got most of what they had in at the time.  I do get lucky sometimes!  I bought the Swarovski Pearls in Bordeaux from Artbeads.  I had intended to use my reds and whites to make something for a Valentine's Day contest.  I have never entered a contest.  However, at the time my muse was on hiatus and I couldn't come up with a single thing.  Too bad I didn't come up with this collar at the time because I would have been proud to put it on display.

The collar is just about 22" long by 4 1/2" wide.  It is quite substantial and a little weighty.  That's good, though, because it doesn't slide around too much.  I used A TON of 11/0 seed beads, size 8/0 seed beads, bugle beads, 4mm cubes, 5mm Swarovski Pearls and the red daggers on the ends.  I couldn't believe how many seed beads this thing ate up!!!  I used about 3 tubes!

Ok, everyone.  Here it is!  I call it...
Wrapped in Red

What do you think?  Was I successful in defeating the netting stitch, or did I make technical errors?  I can't wait to do the bracelet to match.  As soon as the beads come in to my local stomping grounds and I pick them up I will get going on it.  Obviously a bracelet won't take nearly as many hours as I have invested into this collar, so I should hopefully have it up soon.  I also see so many possibilities with this stitch.  Color combinations, patterns, etc.  I think I will do more of this!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!  Don't have too much green beer! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this and it looks amazing with that dress! I've done a bit of netting (not THAT much) and it's fun if you LOVE to count! ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Looks like perfectly executed netting to me! Lovely!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I've only done netting small scale, and that looks excellent to me. You should be so proud of yourself, Lisa, for accomplishing your new stitch every month!

DVArtist said...

You crack me up. I had no doubt that you would figure it all out. It looks great!!!
Nicole/Beadwright

Lynn said...

Good Golly Girl! That is freakin' spectacular!!

Robbie said...

Lisa, this is beautiful!! I'm only a week behind looking at blogs!!! And no, I never heard of "filet crochet"! How cool..and yes, you should display this piece!!!